Sunday, 29 May 2011

Sunday CD Project

A week or two ago I went into Guildford's independent record store, and bought a selection of CDs I've never heard of by bands I'd never heard of on the basis that they had pretty artwork, cool band names or amusing titles. Here's the first:

Midas Fall - Eleven. Return And Revert
What a cool name for a band, and what a lovely front cover! Seriously, look at it! Very nice. It reminded me of 65daysofstatic's artwork for their single release of 'Hole'. Nice and yellow.
I have to admit, sadly, that the music doesn't quite live up to the beauty of the band name and artwork. That said, it's still a good album. It begins sounding like a less-polished Explosions In The Sky record (small band, less production; fine by me), but I was totally taken aback when a juxtaposed female vocal entered. And I have to say, it works somehow.
Alas, the songwriting is a little lacking in places, with some tracks sounding a bit samey, but equally, all members are clearly competent musicians who know their strengths and limitations, and they use that knowledge well.
As I say most weeks, check it out! It's a solid record by a small band who I think could do quite well.

j.r.

No comments: