Sunday, 15 May 2011

Sunday CD Project

I cheated a little this week. This was Tori's birthday present, I was a bit low on cash. Two birds with one stone and all that.

The New Pornographers – Together
Hurrah for indie folk rock (ish) music! This is the fifth studio album (and most successful yet) from the Canadian 8-piece, and although I love their earlier works (2005's Twin Cinema especially), it's easy to see why this album has done as well as it has.
The album starts with the catchiest cello riff you'll have ever heard in your life. The whole album is littered with cheeky melodies and beautiful harmonies, and even the slower numbers (peculiarly theological 'My Shepherd', for example) still have a forceful powerpop energy that make any of the songs impossible to dislike.
If you're not convinced, the aforementioned cello riff (and proceeding song) is on their homepage in the form of the Youtube video. Splendid.
There you are then. Great album. Go find out why Tori wanted it for her birthday; you won't be disappointed.

j.r.

No comments: