Spiritualized – Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space
It's an oldie this week, circa 1997. I was amazed I'd never even heard of this band until the above-mentioned QC last week. Anyway, to the point: SPACE ROCK! YES! Basically this album is an epic space-rock album (but somehow not in a highly pretentious way), comprised of very simple chords, melodies, and lyrics but played in such wonderful way that I have been utterly enthralled by it all week.
The opening title track takes the form of a round (you know, like Frere Jacques, only . . . cool) and got me hooked from the outset.
The themes of the album range from beautifully simple (possibly even naïve) love songs, to mild anti-theism (not so much of a fan of those bits, as you can imagine), to pleasant tunes about the mundane.
The closing track 'Cop Shoot Cop' is a pretty sick 17-minute wig-out, and is probably the most proggy part of the album in a '90s hip-hop kind of way.
Definitely worth a listen. Like . . . definitely.
Just read that back: I apologise for such a disjointed review. Can't be bothered to re-write though. Love you all!
j.r.
No comments:
Post a Comment