Sunday, 10 July 2011

Sunday CD Project

I swear I have no memory at the moment: it's Sunday! I should be reviewing! Fool!

Fink – Sort Of Revolution
This was one of those occasional impulse-buys at the record shop in Guildford. I first heard of Fink through artist radio on Spotify, with his song 'Blueberry Pancakes', a sort of dark, lo-fi, acoustic-guitar driven glitch number that I immediately liked. I didn't give much of his other stuff a listen, but remembered the name.
And so I stumbled upon this CD and picked it up. The sound is very similar to what I described above. More towards the folk end of the spectrum, but with little delay loops and things that wave a salute in the direction of Massive Attack and the like. Very enjoyable.
Songs to check out: the title track, 'Sort Of Revolution', which sets the melancholy benchmark for the album, 'Q & A', a partially-a'capella doo-wop tune, and 'Blueberry Pancakes' (not on this album, but very good, as I said above).

Sorry it's so late; someone remind me next week!

j.r.

No comments: