Monday, 4 July 2011

Sunday CD Project

Not being at uni (and therefore being totally out of routine) caused me to forget all about the fact that it is in fact Sunday today. Actually it ended 19 minutes ago. But hush.

The Unicorns – Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone?
They pose a good question. Actually, no, they pose an utterly ridiculous question. But an amusing one nonetheless. This was an impulse-bought album, so I had neutral hopes for it, and as it happens, it is a good record. It's not all that new now (I believe it came out in 2004), so I can't give it a rating in terms of recent albums. But perhaps that's a good thing, what with Bon Iver, Battles and Thomas Tantrum's latest efforts.
Not a wholly accessible band, The Unicorns are of the Pavement school of indie rock (although not as intense). There's a peculiar recorder solo and some quirky sound check-type intros, and the lyrical content ranges from mundanity to utter lunacy. However/Therefore (depending on your viewpoint), it's a fun album. I'd give it a listen if you get the chance.

j.r.

No comments: