PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
I only got into PJ Harvey within the last year or so. If you're not aware of her work, she is neither an American man, nor a rapper, as her very male-American-rapper-sounding name would suggest. Some of her past albums are superb, others are a bit meh (in my opinion).
I'm glad to say that this new record is one of the better ones. The album operates as a sort of concept album about England (as the title would suggest); not a Sgt Pepper-epic sort of concept album, mind you, but literally an album where all the songs about England or being English.
Don't worry, it's not pro-BNP or anything! To me, it's just a woman who's good at writing songs, and who is proud of being English, and has put the two together with pretty good results.
It's nothing mind-blowing, if I'm honest, but it's a good, solid album, and it makes me very happy to be English (which is something I don't feel for a fair portion of the time).
I'm no longer doing the 1-5 rating, as I can't objectify well enough. Sorry @lucytrew!
j.r.
No comments:
Post a Comment