Monday, 11 April 2011

Sunday CD Project

Oh my gosh, I forgot! Sorrrrrrrrrry! This will be the last Sunday CD for a while, as I am on holiday and moving around a bit. The next will be when I am back in Guildford again.

Radiohead - The King Of Limbs
The latest offering from the English experimentalists has been four years in the waiting since the absolute stonker that was 2007's In Rainbows. Sound-wise, I'm putting it somewhere between In Rainbows (for structured beats and stuff) and Kid A (for weird noises that make me happy). Both of those albums are great, and this one is pretty good too. However, it lacks the little touches that would make it great. There are no instantly-recognisable riffs, beats, or sounds, and nothing that makes me want to go "I flipping love Radiohead" in the same way that tracks like Reckoner, Pyramid Song, and Everything In Its Right Place do.
In short, it's worth a listen, probably worth buying in fact, but if you're considering the forthcoming newspaper edition, I'd save your cash. Buying those super-awesome boxsets is only cool when the album is awesome (trust me; I bought the pricey edition of Biffy Clyro's average-at-best Only Revolutions and while I still like it, I wish I hadn't spent £30 on it.)

j.r.

No comments: