Sunday, 27 March 2011

Sunday CD Project

So, my feet have barely touched the ground over the last few days, so finding time to write this review has been a challenge. As such it will be concise.

J Mascis - Several Shades Of Why
J was the frontman of indie band Dinosaur Jr. a few years back, and also headed up J Mascis And The Fog (whom I thoroughly recommend - they're on Spotify so there's no excuse). He's been doing some more folky solo stuff for a while as well, but this is his first full-length album of solo material. I got one song, Is It Done?, for free from Pitchfork (online music magazine - read it, it makes NME look like all kinds of lame) and was vaguely interested, so bought the album when it came out a week or three ago.
Genuinely, one of the most lovely, chilled-out-but-not-boring albums I've heard in a while. There's a weird but rather cheerful video as well, which I will embed below.
Definitely worth a listen I think.

Julez's enjoyment rating of: 4/5


j.r.

No comments: