Sunday, 17 October 2010

The Church in the news

I watched this short news report just now after it appeared on my iGoogle BBC News plugin:


Now, at the risk of slipping into a 'why can't we all just get along?' cliché, I want to raise a concern I have (and it hasn't originated with me - I've had this discussion with countless other people) in that every time the Church - be it Anglican, Catholic or any other - makes a news appearance, it's normally about a split/rift that is being caused. The words 'uproar' and 'turmoil' are often used, juxtaposing with the images of a twee English village church building, and in recent years I'd say 9/10 of the cases broadcast are about either women clergy and/or homosexuality. The reporter in this article makes the same observation, in fact.

Surely there are other things we can get het-up about . . . ? Just this evening I was told by a well-meaning but utterly misinformed person that Fairtrade and non-Fairtrade chocolate is all sourced from the same farms. Without going on a little rant, that is wrong. And I know that (despite it being the most common topic on this blog), ethical trading is not the only important issue in the world, I figure that we might be better off educating people in matters like that instead of bickering amongst ourselves about people's sexuality and whether women should be allowed to be in leadership positions (which I personally think is totally subjective to the person in question anyway - I won't go there now). And hey, you never know, some of the good stuff might get picked up by the BBC and the Church might become known as 'the ones who free slaves' rather than 'the ones who are stuck in Victorian times'.

Seeing as we are the Church (I apologise if you're not; kudos for reading this far!), I think it's probably up to us to make it happen. Let's make it happen!

J.R.

1 comment:

Tori said...

I wanted you to go into women in leadership...prey do tell.

x