Sunday, 12 June 2011

Sunday CD Project

Thomas Tantrum – Mad By Moonlight
Tomorrow sees the release of the Southampton four-piece's sophomore LP. I got it on Friday, in a pretty paper bag with some signed goodies, because they love me like that. There might be a few nice copies like that left on their store!
I've been looking forward to this album ever since I demoed some tracks with TT a couple of summers ago. As it turns out, none of those songs are on the LP, but that doesn't detract from this being a seriously cool record.
The trashy wig-outs from their self-titled debut have taken a back seat, but there is still a definite indie-pop grounding on the new record. Mega's voice has refined ten-fold, there are new instruments in the mix, and the songs are more varied than previously.
Don't get me wrong, Thomas Tantrum was a great album, but with this follow-up comes a new air of maturity, but not the starchy sort.
It's really fun, you should go and get it! Oh, and buy the CD; the packaging is lovely!

j.r.

No comments: