The book in question was the newly-released Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (or Sorcerer's Stone for American readers). I was uncomfortable with the book straight away, which prompted my mum to read it, at which point she went on what seemed like a vendetta against anything Potter-related.
Now, while I still haven't read the books or seen the films (bar the first, which I thought was average at best), partially from a gut-/God-instinct, partially out of disinterest, I'm not sure my mum's approach of getting really worked up about it was the most productive thing in the world (although I do not question her motives).
Anywho, hear's a lady from Soul Survivor's take on it:
Apart from a couple of qualms I have (1. I wouldn't say blood sacrifice is a Biblical theme in the sense that she means; it's certainly not a New Testament theme, and I would also say it's a Wiccan theme, although my knowledge of Wicca is limited. 2. This is more petty, but the assumption in the penultimate paragraph that every reader's parents are Christians just irritates me) I think I agree with most of what the writer is saying.
As always, I'm not saying I'm right. I'm not even sure I'm 100% of what I think, but putting thoughts into text helps sort them out a bit.
Comment! Let me know your thoughts! GO WILD!
~J-Wow
1 comment:
"Everything has an impact on us and it’s good to stop and think about how we feel when we’ve watched something. Can you watch Gossip Girl and enjoy it as a bit of escapism? Or do you get half-way through the box set and feel like you’re not attractive enough, don’t have enough money and wish your wardrobe was stuffed with designer clothes?"
This made me laugh so much, it's so true.
I love Harry Potter, as you are aware, but it makes me crazy about Christians getting all upset about it... It's a story, and yeah people get carried away with it, but they do with loads of films. Harry Potter's about love defeating evil; A mothers sacrifice to save her son, and equality in a world where there's diversity between "muggles" and "wizards."
I enjoy it.. of course I can understand a Christians problem with it, but like the article said, there's things in most entertainment that are wrong.
I'm glad you posted a link,
love
L x
Post a Comment