Sunday, 13 February 2011

Sunday CD Project

It is still Sunday for another hour or so, and I have just listened to this album for the third time in as many days:

The Streets - Computers And Blues
It's the fifth final album from Mike Skinner's hugely popular project that in the past brought us the hilarious 'Fit But You Know It', the tearjerking 'Dry Your Eyes' and the profound 'On The Edge Of A Cliff'. From a production aspect, there are couple of singing parts that I thought could've used re-recording, but knowing Skinner, it's probably what he was going for, so I'll let it fly. Musically, the beats have once again not failed to impress, being diverse throughout, and hitting the vibe of the lyrics again and again.
Lyrics are, of course, the central pivot of all the Streets' material, and my being someone who struggles with listening to lyrics makes reviewing this record harder than most. Suffice to say, though, that at least two songs have stuck out as being very poignant (I may even blog about one song separately in days to come), and the final track – 'Lock The Locks' – tells the story of Skinner shutting the proverbial door on The Streets for the last time so eloquently I wanted to cry.
The crying could be attributed to the unbelievable sleep deprivation I'm suffering right now, but even so, this is a nugget of an album.

J.R.

No comments: