The Decemberists - The King Is Dead
The new record from the Oregon-based five-piece is about as far from 2009's The Hazards Of Love as it could possibly be while clearly having been written and performed by the same people. The folk rock-opera is so two years ago! Instead, The King Is Dead has now taken the title of 'most country album I own'. It's VERY country, from numerous harmonica solos to pedal-steel guitars. And it's good. My first listen left me a little . . . disappointed is too strong a word, but not as excited as I was hoping to be. However, I have recently learnt to give albums another try (Arcade Fire's The Suburbs is a prime example of this), and this record - although not on the same level as Hazards or 2005's Picaresque - is definitely worth a listen.
J.R.
No comments:
Post a Comment